Lentils have a history dating back to ancient times and a nutrition profile second to none. They are among the worlds healthiest foods. An excellent source of plant protein, high in fiber, loaded with nutrients, and so easy to prepare, lentils are one of my go-to foods when I need something quick and easy. They also store well for a few days in the fridge, so make extras and you’ll have great leftovers for the times you don’t feel like cooking. Just heat and add a salad and you’re set. Sometimes I heap my salad right smack on top of them!
- 2 tablespoons ghee or unsalted butter
- 1 bunch green onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paparika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups lentils (I used sprouted)
- 24 ounce can whole organic tomatoes – chopped and juices kept
- Approx. 3 cups chicken bone broth or any broth of your choice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt – or to taste
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 tablespoon mustard seeds
- Plain whole pastured yogurt for serving (I use Siggi’s or Skyr yogurt)
- Cilantro – chopped
- First step… soak your lentils – This takes a little advance prep but it eliminates the “anti-nutrients” that inhibit digestion and rob valuable minerals from our bodies – like calcium from our bones, magnesium, zinc, copper, etc. I generally soak the evening before to allow a good 12 hours and even longer until you see little white sprouts emerge. To soak, cover the lentils in filtered water, add 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar for each cup of lentils, cover and allow to sit at room temperature.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, curry and paprika and gently cook about 4 – 5 minutes until golden and onions soften.
- Add tomato paste, salt, and bone broth – just enough to cover by about a half inch.
- Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and simmer until lentils are tender. About 30 minutes. Add more broth is need to keep the mixture moist.
- Toast the mustard seeds and coconut over medium heat until golden and fragrant.
- To serve, spoon lentils into a bowl and top with a dollop of yogurt and a sprinkling of the coconut, mustard seed mixture, and cilantro and you have a complete meal!
Want to connect? Email at email@example.com