What to know before you get in line.
“Curiosity is the most powerful force on the planet.” Dr. Zack Bush
Back in the fall, when talk of a COVID-19 vaccine came up, a friend commented that she’d be the first in line when the vaccine was released. Stopped me in my tracks.
I’ve never been opposed to vaccines, but I’m a skeptic – especially of a “fast-tracked” vaccine that uses “experimental” genetic technology uniquely different from all previous vaccines, affects us at the genetic level in ways we don’t know and may not know for years and is “Unapproved”.
So before we all jump to the front of the line, I think it’s important to consider the “facts” that will allow me and you to make an informed decision.
I had no idea how difficult this would be.
Endless online searches, published articles, books, scientific journals, census reports, government docs . . . with contradictory, fragmented, and fact-checked “facts”, causing anyone to wonder what is true? What is real? What is fabrication?
(This is a long discussion. Sorry. If you want only the high points about the COVID vaccine, skip to the end where you’ll find my short list of facts.)
Disclaimer: I’m not a scientist or a doctor. I’m a health professional trained and certified in functional medicine and holistic health with a deep desire to understand the details of how our bodies work, what causes illness, and how to avoid the chronic illnesses that are so prevalent today. The content and opinions expressed here are mine – backed by the best most legit research and science I could find.
Who’s providing the facts?
A Google search on vaccines will land you either on government, medical and academic research sites, or various health sites. And therein lies a conflict as all of these groups as well as the mainstream media are deeply entwined with the manufacturers of vaccines.
Pharmaceutical companies invest literally billions to influence medical and government decisions – and to even shape public perception of health. One in-depth report states:
“The industry has so much power that it has actually shaped how Western medicine and its citizens think about their health and well-being.”
The CDC holds patents and financial interests in drugs and vaccines, rendering them questionably “objective” watchdogs.
Personnel regularly flow back and forth between pharma and government regulatory agencies, ensuring their financial interests are protected.
Prestigious medical journals are not immune as pharma not only underwrites much of their research but pours billions of dollars into advertising.
“To serve its interests, the industry masterfully influences evidence base production, evidence synthesis, understanding of harms issues, cost-effectiveness evaluations, clinical practice guidelines and healthcare professional education and also exerts direct influences on professional decisions and health consumers.”
Even the World Health Organization may have fallen prey as this report implies.
And throw the mainstream media into the mix as well. From 2016 to 2019, pharmaceutical direct-to-consumer advertising in the US exceeded $23 billion. The US is one of only two countries in the world to allow direct-to-consumer advertising, to help persuade our docs to prescribe their medications.
The new world of censorship
Most recently the major social media channels have jumped in to influence the narrative, deciding what materials we can and cannot see and censoring those that question the safety of vaccines. This, despite the fact that more than $3.9 billion has been paid out in vaccine injury claims by the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program – a program signed into law in 1986 by Ronald Reagan which protects pharmaceutical companies from any liability caused by their vaccines.
“Since vaccine companies are immune from liability for injuries caused by their products, and therefore have no incentive to make them safe, our public health regulators have an amplified responsibility to monitor adverse events.” Children’s Health Defense.
The point here . . . although vaccines may have a place in our health, there’s a downside to the issue that remains largely hidden – unless you’re actively seeking it.
Vaccines were rare when I was growing up. There were about 4 back then – diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, and smallpox (DTP).
Vaccines for measles and mumps weren’t in the schedule yet and I, like most other kids on the block, came down with measles, mumps, and chickenpox, stayed home from school (yeah!), and recovered from the spots, swollen neck, and flu-like discomforts without a vaccine. Our immune systems kicked in and kicked the virus out.
50+ vaccines for children
Fast forward to 2015 where the vaccine schedule recommended for children “within the first hours of life to 16 years of age,” is upwards of 50 vaccinations, writes Paul Thomas, M.D. and Jennifer Margulis, in their book, The Vaccine Friendly Plan.
The numbers have grown since then to exceed 70, many of which are experienced by babies and small children before their immune systems even have a chance to develop. Today children can “. . . receive as many as 27 shots by 2 years of age and up to six shots in a single visit.”
As the number of vaccines steadily grew, the CDC – our watchdog for vaccine safety – failed to consider the mercury content in the combined doses of vaccines given to children – which turned out to be 125 times the safe limit as per EPA guidelines. Today, any mercury found in the bloodstream is considered toxic.
“We had poisoned a generation of children with a mercury-derived preservative called thimerosal that was in the majority of childhood vaccines,” Paul Thomas, M.D.
Add to these flu vaccines – which have become as common as your morning cup of coffee, and recommended year after year for both adults and children.
An in-depth study by the Cochrane Collaboration, an independent research group of 53 review groups based at research institutions worldwide, reviewed 50 published reports and concluded that flu vaccines “. . . show little or no benefit.”
“ . . . The EVIDENCE REFUTES the claims that the flu vaccine prevents the flu. . . prevents viral transmission in healthy adults . . . and prevents complications and saves lives.” Cochrane Collaboration
They go on to say “. . . reliable evidence on influenza vaccines is thin . . . and there is evidence of widespread manipulation of conclusions and spurious notoriety of the studies.”
“…the flu vaccine is one of our least effective and most controversial vaccines and one that many doctors themselves avoid.” Many of my staunchly pro-vaccine colleagues refuse the yearly flu shot.” Dr. Paul Thomas
Vaccines and chronic illness
“Vaccine safety science has so many knowledge gaps that the Institute of Medicine could not determine whether the timing and numbers of vaccinations given to babies and young children is or is not responsible for the development of learning disabilities – asthma – autoimmunity – autism – developmental and behavior disorders – seizures and other kind of brain and immune system problems.” National Vaccine Information Center
There’s growing concern about the sheer volume of vaccines and their possible link with the explosion of autoimmune and neurological conditions like autism, Alzheimer’s, and Parkinson’s.
Dr. Thomas in his book asks the question . . .
“To what extent is overvaccination contributing to the rise in chronic diseases and other health problems among American’s children. To what extent is overvaccination a trigger for Autism? Have we taken an unquestionably good practice and turned it into something that’s actually causing harm?”
Gardasil, a vaccine in which 90% of the cases resolve through our natural immune function, has been suspended in other countries because of symptoms related to its connection to “dysfunction of the sympathetic nervous system. . . ”
Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR), has a dicey background with links to autism that have largely remained hidden.
The CDC’s data did show statistically significant effects at the 36-month threshold, proof that the CDC knew their study found a causal connection between the MMR vaccine and autism. CDC responded to this finding by manipulating the data to make this finding disappear.
Dr. Kelly Brogan, in her report on “Vaccines and Brain Health”, explains how the MMR vaccine package inserts “clearly state that coadministration with other vaccines has not been studied. And only one longitudinal study has been done to assess the whole vaccine schedule in primates.”
Another study analyzing health outcomes in vaccinated vs unvaccinated children found that unvaccinated children had fewer developmental delays, asthma, and ear infections than the vaccinated group. The report when onto say that “. . . Although short-term clinical testing is completed on individual vaccines . . . the health outcomes related to these vaccines and the vaccination schedule as a whole are largely unknown.”
The alarming rise of autism
Is there a connection between vaccines and the unprecedented rise in the cases of autism and autoimmune conditions?
The MMR vaccines were developed in the 1960s.
In 1975 1 in 5000 children were diagnosed with autism.
Today that number is 1 in 36. If things continue this way, says Stephanie Seneff, Ph.D. from MIT, “We can predict that by 2032, 80% of the boys born will end up on the autism spectrum. Half the children, 80% of the boys. This is going to be a complete catastrophe if we just let it happen“.
Today 60% of adults and 27% of our children live with one or more chronic illnesses – the highest level of sickness ever experienced in human history.
“When you take a look at the ever-increasing numbers of doses of vaccines babies have gotten over the past two decades and you see this corresponding rise in chronic disease and disability in our children, it is out of control,” said Barbara Loe Fisher, president of the National Vaccine Information Center.
What we know (or think we know) so far . . .
Here is a rundown of the information I was able to gather about the mRNA vaccines.
- The current COVID vaccines are experimental and unapproved – The Fact Sheet from Pfizer and Moderna read: “The . . . COVID-19 Vaccine is an unapproved vaccine that may prevent COVID-19. There is no FDA-approved vaccine to prevent COVID-19. We don’t know the long-term effects, its impact on pregnant and breast-feeding women, its impact on fertility, or anything else for that matter.
- The COVID-19 vaccine has only been evaluated for its ability to lessen COVID-19 symptoms, not reduce the risk of infection, hospitalization, or death.
- Pfizer and Moderna both indicate there’s not enough evidence yet on whether the vaccines prevent asymptomatic infection and transmission. In other words, getting the vaccine doesn’t necessarily prevent you from carrying or transmitting the virus. A statement by WHO chief scientist and pediatrician Dr. Soumya Swaminathan at a recent press conference concurs.“I don’t believe we have the evidence on any of the vaccines to be confident that it’s going to prevent people from actually getting the infection and therefore being able to pass it on.”
- Who’s determining the success of the vaccines? “Success” of these vaccines is not being measured by their ability to prevent infection with SARS-CoV-2, as many in the general public believe, but merely by their ability to lessen the severity of the symptoms associated with COVID-19, like coughs and headaches.” And the “success” measures are rolled out in corporate press releases by the pharmaceutical developers themselves. (Note: On the same day that Pfizer announced the successful results of its vaccine trial which sent Pfizer stock soaring, its CEO cashed out $6.5 million in stock.)
- The mRNA vaccines use new and experimental technology never tested or used before. mRNAs are the central molecules that control all of our biological functions. They are often referred to as the “software of life”. And while some claim we have nothing to worry about, it makes me uneasy that one jab could have a long-term impact that no one can yet predict.
- What are the side effects and long-term impact of the vaccine? There is no long-term data on what will happen in 5, 10, or 20 years in the future after administering them. Effectively, those taking the vaccines ARE the subjects of the first long term study.
- How long will the vaccine be effective? No one seems to know the answer to this either which is why all the mainstream information sources indicate that we’ll be masking and distancing for years to come – practices completely antithetical to robust human health.
- Is it possible for the vaccine to harm us? Several adverse reactions and deaths have now been reported. China has called for a suspension of the vaccine (especially among the elderly) in response to deaths in Norway. Brazil has halted the trial. And 55 deaths have been reported to the US Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System VAERS – a “passive” reporting system that depends on individuals voluntarily submitting reports and is known for receiving a small fraction of adverse events. Another report warns of a heightened risk of HIV with certain COVID-19 vaccines.
- Who’s overseeing vaccine safety standards? The administration last year disbanded the office with the expertise for exactly this job, merging it into an office focused on infectious diseases. This has left long-term safety efforts for coronavirus vaccines fragmented among federal agencies with no central leadership, experts say.
- Concern for the frail and elderly. In a recent letter to the FDA, Noorchashm, M.D., Ph.D., a physician-scientist, warns of potentially deadly injuries or permanent damage for the frail and elderly receiving the vaccine. ” This coincides with the numerous reports of unexplained cardiovascular deaths following COVID-19 vaccination in Norway, Germany, the UK, Gibraltar, and the U.S.,”
We have been so conditioned to believe vaccines are essential and safe that we fail to question – even in the face of a mass worldwide vaccination program with a product that is untested by any group other than the manufacturers themselves, experimental, uniquely different from anything we’ve experienced in the past, uses genetic mRNA coding that we’re told couldn’t possibly harm us but on the other hand, no one truly knows . . . And, worst of all, doesn’t guarantee that it will protect us or keep us from getting or transmitting the virus.
The incessant portrayal of the coronavirus as a death sentence (while the recovery rate hovers somewhere in the high 95 percentile) has frozen us in our tracks and locked us up. It has separated us from loved ones, isolated us, masked us, and put the world into a state of fear – all things that diminish our health and our resilience. Not to mention the devastating impact the shutdown has had on our population.
Deciding what is right for you is a personal choice, ideally driven by knowledge and understanding of the risks and the benefits.
No one likes getting sick. But somehow we’ve forgotten something critically important: getting sick and recovering is nature’s way of naturally building our immune strength and resilience as studies have shown that naturally acquired immunity can provide better and longer protection than a vaccine.
“Vaccines can provide incomplete protection by, for example, reducing one’s susceptibility by some degree. Furthermore, the protection provided may wane over time. Importantly the duration of protection acquired through a vaccine may be considerably shorter than that provided through a natural infection . . . “
As for me, I’m not planning to jump in line for a COVID vaccine any time soon. What I will be doing is continuing to support a robust immune system – the best defense I know of. (You can get some tips here.)
Thanks for staying with me!
In love and health ♥
Excellent reporting Elaine! Thanks for all your thorough research! We agree with you! M&A
Millicent! So happy to hear from you! Thank you for taking the time to respond. Your comment is so appreciated! Sending all my best to you both! E
Well done, Elaine! As a physician-health coach colleague, I applaud you for tackling this difficult issue. I agree with your approach and am doing the same myself – watching and waiting and trusting my immune system. Bravo!
Judith . . . thank you for your thoughts! I expected comments on both sides as this is a difficult and divisive issue. It’s so important that people educate themselves so they can make decisions that are right for them. The problem today is that many of the opposing views are being silenced. E
Excellent article my loving friend!! Very educational and with great facts!! Thanks for sharing your research and points of views on this controversial matter. I am following your decision to support my immune system and prepare it to decent itself naturally as it should be. Thanks so much ❤️☺️👏🏻🌎
Hi, Elaine! Thank you for this post. Do you still hold the same view about the vaccine at this point in May? Have you found any new research? I’m still hesitant about the vaccine after reading and wanting to just trust my immune system. But I also am intrigued to find that some naturopathic and functional medicine doctors are endorsing it and claim that the pros outweigh the cons, such as this article: https://naturalmedicinenh.com/2021/03/22/the-covid-19-vaccines-a-functional-medicine-perspective/
What are your thoughts? Just wanting to make the most informed and healthy decision possible! :) Thank you for your help!!
Hi Heather, I’m so sorry I had not seen your comment until now. To answer your question, I still hold the same opinion and like you find it extremely odd that some in the holistic and functional medicine space would recommend an experimental injection for an virus that has a recovery rate of upwards of 98% and has not gone through the normal testing that vaccines require. I continue to read and reseach and have a difficult time making sense of that or of the censoring of dialogue on the subject.