Sometimes we forget just how good a salad can be and this one of Romaine Lettuce packs a healthy does of nutrition – and even some protein (about 8 grams per head!). Romaine lettuce is one of those foods that just about everyone likes and, surprisingly, it is rich in vitamins, minerals, omega 3’s (44% of your RDA), iron, calcium. Who would guess?
When I created this salad, it immediately became the “favorite” for everyone. Easy, fast and suited for all taste buds, kids included.
- Organic whole romaine lettuce
- Bacon – cooked and chopped
- Organic cherry tomatoes
- Radishes – quartered or sliced
- 1 cup avocado mayo
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 TB red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup organic ketchup
- 2 TB Dijon mustard
- 1 TB Siracha sauce
- ½ cup chopped dill pickles or cornichons
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Mix all dressing ingredients together and whisk until smooth. If you want it a little less thick, add a slight amount of water.
- Remove any damaged outer leaves from the romaine heads.
- Cut about 1 inch off the bottom of each. Rinse lightly and shake dry – do not separate the leaves. I wash and wrap the heads in paper towel and store in a plastic bag an hour or so before I make the salad to crisp the lettuce.
- When ready to serve, cut the romaine heads in half the long way. Lay out on a platter. Spoon on the dressing and top with bacon pieces, halved cherry tomatoes, radishes and any other salad favorites. Top with a little sauteed organic chicken, beef or a soft cooked egg to add more protein for a complete meal.
Love to hear your comments! Post them below.